www.Robse.dk - Thé internet site!!

Projects by Robert Holsting

HOME
Blueprints & plans
About me

  Crane booms, and stuff!

I finaly managed to find someone that would weld these aluminum elements.
The outer is 3mm thick, the rest is 2mm thick. Calculations shows that it is enough for the loads that I plan.

The largest one is 12cm / 4.7" wide!

  They are all 1,10m / 3.6ft long, but some may be reduced slightly.

  This is the boom as it will look, once completed. 4,20m / 13.8ft long!
The truck next to it is regular size 1:14 scale model.

Next: Nylon sliders, aluminum head-pieces and a lot of mechanics!

  The elements are now ready for the sliding blocks, aluminum rings and internal components, after all of the marks after welding and grinding has been covered by filler, and a layer of primer paint.

My CNC mill is undergoing repairs, but as soon as it is back in working condition, I will update with the manufactured components.

  CNC has been fed a sheet of 15mm thick POM ("nylon"), and outlines of all the elements has been drawn in Inventor (AutoDesk)
The result should be eight nylon rings.

All rear rings are fitted to the outside of the element that it sits on, while all front rings are fitted to the inside of the element that they sit on,
allowing the elements to telescope into each other without binding.

  The first nylon ring is done!


  All nylon rings done for the rear end of the boom!


  And now for the rings in the front end of the boom.. all done the same way, so I let the camera sit this one over.

  I also made this adapter that makes the crane boom fit the resting bracket on the carrier, while also pressing the control-switch in the middle of the bracket.

  The adapter will go here, on the biggest, outmost boom.

  Now for the aluminum rings - G-file loaded, and all setup and adjusted.

  A raw sheet of aluminum.
Four rings will be 12mm thick, while the biggest will be 15mm thick.

  First the inner cut is made, then the outer cut - making it a ring.

  The surface finish is looked at using the manual mill.

  - and done!
It does differ somewhat from the original, but I have to focus on function for now, and work with the shape of the boom that I after all have.

  Mystery-time!
What is this, that has been begun on the CNC - but not yet been completed?
What mysterious component will this become?

  One week later (I also have a real job, that takes time :-) ) I arrived at this stage.

More than 110 pieces (Counting bearings as "1 each"), 820g of weight, tons of holes, some with thread, some blank - axles, bearings, nylon rollers...

  Different shapes cut to look like the real thing..

  Small stop-pin on the side facing out..

  These guys were cut on the CNC, then soldered.
2 and 3mm brass and a few washers in various thickness..

These are the points where the Y-frame will pull the crane head, once fitted.

  Little axle end covers in place.

  Note the Y-frame brass anchoring points, now in their right place.
Also note the little counter-sunk eye for the wire guide bar, right at the upper corner of the crane head wall.

  And now: The crane head start to look like a crane head!

13 rollers on the bottom.. fits the large hook that I made years ago.

  This T-profile forms an eye that sits on the front of the crane head.
The vector of force will go downwards and to the left in the picture, in case you are wondering if the two bolts are in the right place.

  This is the top of the head.
Center roller will stay right where it is: In line with bottom roller no. 7 (center).
The roller on the right can be moved, in case I want to use the 5-roller hook or the 13-roller hook with full 'cuts' (wire running on all rollers)
The little black stops ensures that the rollers does not wonder off to one side.

  Crane head seen from the backside.
The large cut-out fits right over the opening of the smallest element (no. 5) and was made to save some weight.

The small holes around the cut-out are for bolts, going into the aluminum ring on the smallest element.

  Crane head seen from the front.

The whole thing will be painted to match the crane, and given reflective red/white markings all around --- OR I might paint the crane head bright, florescent red - don't know yet..

Little things like bracket for wind speed measuring and maybe a red flasher will be made as well, as little side-projects when I need to think about other steps before I make them.

  Had to do it!
Fitted all elements on the crane base, and the cranehead!
Can't wait to see this beast completed.

     

     

    More images and work SOON!!

     


Back to index --->